Social Icons

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

We are our own downfall..

The biggest turn off to Christianity is Christians themselves.

How true is that?! Personally, I find that the people I like hanging out with least tend to be my Christian friends, or Christians in general. I feel I am constantly being judged, not a feeling I really enjoy. Church is my least favourite place to be, not because I don't love the worship and such, but because it's a popularity contest. Cliques among young people in churches are worse than high schools! In the one place you are supposed to be accepted, and loved, your whole character gets ripped to shreds.

When I first started looking after BabyBoy, we were in church and a couple older ladies behind me were discussing 'what a shame it was' that I had a child when I was 'clearly so young' and how 'that would never have happened in their day!'. Finally, I had enough. I turned around, and I said 'You know, I have a story for you. It's about a mother who has five kids, and took in over 150 foster kids over the last 20 years. Then one day, she gets killed in a car accident. The oldest daughter came home from across the country to help take care of the family. I'm the oldest, he's the youngest. So I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't judge me.' Their mouths dropped.

I guess I'm just wondering why?


Why is it, when Christians are supposed to be a people based on love, unconditional, agape love, to turn away and disapprove of homosexuals? I know that it is morally wrong, but what right do we have to tell them who they are allowed to love? And are they still not people, the artwork of God? Does He not love them the same?


Why is it that we condemn those who do wrong, however we do the same things everyday? The Bible says that all sins are equal. So we, who tell lies, or do not love, are in the same amount of trouble as those who murder, or commit adultery.


Why is it that we, although a people of great love, can be so darned cold and calculating to not only people of other faiths, but one another? Why do we insist on having this outward appearance of love, and acceptance, yet be so cruel and corrupt?


Why do I need to constantly be fighting to be someone ‘good enough’ to be considered ‘one of them’?


We were told to love. The greatest commandment of them all, maybe because it's the hardest. It's so easy to judge, or gossip, or be straight-up brutal to one another. It seems to take a lot more effort to just love. I'm the first to admit I'm guilty of this. I love being up to date on the latest news, maybe because it just makes me feel more involved. When someone ticks me off, as a friend once told me, 'they could die of frostbite' because I tend to get a bit cold towards them.

My favourite verse, since I was 13 has been:
You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. ~ Matthew 5:43-48

Maybe the real reason behind this post is to remind myself of everything I've been trying to learn over the last 9 years, and once again was taught in Africa.

No comments: