Social Icons

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

How Lucky I Am..

So, I've been reflecting on today, the day on which I turn 21, the day where I'm a legal adult all over the world, on how lucky I am to have been born in a country like Canada. There are so many countries I could have been born in, so many families I could have been born into that wouldn't have given me even a fraction of the quality of life I've enjoyed these past 21 years. 

I could have been born in a third world country, where every day is a fight to live. Instead I enjoy unnecessary comforts and still sometimes am selfish enough to complain there isn't enough.

I could have been born in a country under a dictatorship, where rights are something of a myth. Instead I live in the land of the free, where I have the right to do as I wish, and express myself freely. 

I could have been born to a single mother, who works two jobs and sees us for an hour a day. Instead I was born to two loving parents, a mother that stayed at home to teach me the things that ultimately made me what I am today, and which will get me somewhere in life.

I could have been born to an abusive father, and spent my days hiding in a closet. Instead I was given an amazing father who actually chose me, and has been the best Dad I could ask for. 

I could have been born to a family that could not give me the same opportunities for my future. Instead, I have been blessed with multiple opportunities, with few limitations. 

So, on this day, my first birthday without my mother here, I'm attempting to be grateful for all of the blessings in my life. 

3 comments:

Lys said...

happy birthday :)

you are such a strong person, i hope you have a great day. many people are too worried about what they could have had, it's nice to see someone actually counting their blessings.

Sandi said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY GIRL!

:Luvvie said...

Thanks Ladies :) And after you see my next post, I doubt you'll call me anything but strong Lucklys!