Social Icons

Monday, January 26, 2009

Impressed..

High school.. something I experience over and over again when I go out on weekends to local the local bar/ club. In general, that aspect of going out is not something I enjoy. I'm not a fan of running into people I haven't seen since high school, and in all honesty, didn't really care to see ever again. However, thats besides the point. 

In high school, as always, there were cliques. You got the Jocks, the Nerds, the 'Outcasts' (self- proclaimed), the Goths, the floaters.. and the Puck bunnies, or Gap girls as we called them. The jocks are the ones I'm going to discuss.

The jocks were the hockey players that seemed to coast through life on the coattails of people like me.  People as they deem 'smart' and could use to their advantage.. and like every other non- gap girl in the school that they chose, I allowed it. I was annoyed about it, but, glad to be accepted by the more 'popular' group. 

I graduated high school, glad to be rid of them forever. They went on to play in the CHL. I moved on to university. Then, on Saturday night, I saw one of them. The first I've seen since graduation. And he apologized. He apologized for everything. And he apologized that his friends were such pricks as well.. I was pleasantly surprised! and amazed.. and confused. But also impressed.

Not many people would take the initiative or time to go out of their way to apologize for something that happened so many years ago. And it's amazing how much animosity I was feeling for those boys. And it's amazing how those two words, 'I'm sorry' has taken it all away.. I've decided that there are a few advantages to growing up I suppose... 

1 comment:

Karie said...

That's really cool. I have issues with people from highschool, too. I HATE running into them. I've gone so far as to literally brush my hair in my face and walk in the opposite direction after they've already seen me. At the same time, I HAVE talked to a few people I haven't seen since highschool and they have really proved to me how much people change. I have to remind myself, too, how much I've changed and quit assuming everyone is exactly the same as six years ago. Chances are they aren't.... still don't want to bump into them though. :)