Social Icons

Monday, January 19, 2009

Tales from the Maid of Honour.. Part 1

My entire weekend consisted of weddings. Not the weddings themselves, but books, websites, stores etc. Now, before everyone goes :O what?! you?! really?! no. I'm not getting married. Thank God. I'm a maid of honour this summer, and have at least 5 other friends getting married as well in July. Not cool. Apparently I'm in that age group where the cool thing to do is all get engaged at the same time.. fun. 

But I digress. So. The bride-to-be has no clue what she wants, and told me it's all up to me so some friends and I go to the bridal store to get some ideas for bridesmaid dresses. I am SO not a dress kind of girl so imagine my distress when I realize I have to decide between strapless straight, strapless sweetheart, halter, spaghetti strap, etc. And then length! Cocktail? Tea? Long? or how about the cut? an overlay? crinolin? (or however you spell the damn thing) what material? heavier? lighter? full skirt? holy crap. 

I used my friends as models, throwing multiple dresses at them to try on, while I took pics .. :D  I think I know what I want now, which is awesome. But I came to a few realizations/ guidelines when buying a bridesmaid's dress...

1) The day is all about the bride. DON'T pick some over the top frilly, attention grabbing dress that's going to take the focus off her. I am going for something simple, sleek, and will compliment her dress. 

2) DONT go with any colour thats too light. We were looking at pictures of weddings, and in some cases, you can't tell where the bride's dress ends, and the bridesmaids dresses begin. I think a stark difference is required. Again, it's all about the bride. 

Bah. I have another 6 months of this stuff just for this wedding, and every time I turn around, someone else is getting engaged. Yikes. Be expecting a lot of ranting about weddings and preparations in the coming months. Sorry.. but at least I'm giving you advanced warning! :D 

No comments: