Social Icons

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Winter Wonderland? I think not.

Once a year, it happens. The gradual change. When all the leaves die and fall to their final resting place, on a bed of grass. When the trees all are quiet, not a rustle to be heard. When the brilliant colours of red, auburn, gold and orange fade to dismal browns, greens and white. When scurrying animals, and flying singers all recede to places unknown, until the sun shines again. 

This year, it happened all too soon. 

Driving by empty fields, and farm houses, the light dusting of white powder is bright in comparison to the gloomy skies.

Driving by a street corner, Catholic school girls wear their skirts a little lower than usual, the boys are bundled in coats, hats, mitts, scarves, and all huddle together in a little pack, trying to keep warm. 

As I drive, the whiteness comes at me. I try to run. It follows. Flurry after flurry of white matter, swirling around my car, enveloping the world in its icy grip. 

We arrive at our destination. I open the door, and catch my breath as I feel the biting cold, and crisp wind. Yet another reminder that it is here. It arrived. 

It is Winter. 

No comments: