Social Icons

Monday, September 22, 2008

Baby Gab

So the baby has started talking.. or attempting it anyways.. A for effort! When wanting to splash around, bath is pronounced "bah!" pointing at the kitchen sink.. when he wants up its "puh!" ok.. so he's got it a little backwards.. but its so flipping cute! Please, more and food is still communicated through baby sign language.. an art passed on by my mother.

And he already understands the way of society. He knows that if he gives a kiss, he gets a taste of ice cream. A hug gets him a chorus of "awww!!" If he smiles at a stranger, they start cooing. He knows exactly how to bat his eyelashes, or let out a quick blast of noise to get someones attention. Heaven help us.

I thought it would be great when he started walking. The frantic running around that ensued does little to prove the point. However, when he tries to run, only to faceplant, and come up looking rather confused only causes me to smile.

Chaos is pretty much the perfect word in having a baby around. The idea that everything that has even a remotely liquid consistency is apparently paint to be used on anything and everything, is one I've not found entertaining. 

Or the way when hes done his food, he has the sudden need to throw if off the side of his high chair. Abstract art apparently. However when its spaghetti sauce on my new white curtains, oy.

The only thing is, he's such a joy.  I know that he's a pain in my butt sometimes.. but I absolutely love him. I adore seeing him smile, and his laugh when he's being tickled.. my heart breaks every time I have to put him down for a nap, and his face is warped with such intense sadness. He gives me a hug in an attempt to get out of having to face the dreaded dream world. My eyes fill with tears whenever he kisses the picture of my late mother, and fingers the necklace I wear that was once hers. 

The greatest thing is that I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that no matter how mad he gets at bedtime, he still loves me. And when he wakes up, and I go in his room, he looks at me with a big smile and a laugh. He chooses me over any other person. He cries when I leave the room, or go around a corner. His smile is at its best when he sees me. I know that he will always love me. 

And that, my friend, makes all the difference. 

No comments: