Social Icons

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Les Mis Love

I have a secret.

Okay, it's not really a secret. Considering I wrote a blog on the subject already.

I love musicals. However I don't think I can just call it love. It's an obsession. When I find out a musical is coming out on film I get excited. Then I see it in the theater, and I am so curious as to how they are going to portray each song, and I can't wait for the next song so I end up missing half the movie. So I go back and see it again. And again.

Case in point.  Les Mis.

This movie was phenomenal. The emotional intensity that comes when they do a musical is insane! This particular one even more so! Singing all of the songs live? That is an epic feat that they pulled off beautifully. 

I have this problem though. I see a musical and my heart is so full, and my head is full of lyrics and wonderful melodies. Then I can't remember all the words so I go to iTunes and buy the soundtrack, put it on repeat and bask in the greatness. Then a sadness comes. Almost a mourning. A desire to be a part of something so entirely epic, beautiful and pure. It is a feeling that cannot be put into words. It is a tugging on the heart, and an ache in the chest. That something so fantastic and wonderful is so far out of my reach. It is like the stages of grief. I know it will come with every musical. Well, every musical except Chicago.

Les Mis was everything I could have hoped for. The raw emotion and organic culmination of singing and acting was absolutely mind blowing. The entire score is so amazing, it's hard to narrow down to a favourite, so I picked my top two favourite songs. Click on the name for a youtube video of the song.

A Little Fall of Rain performed by Samantha Barks and Eddie Redmayne
Empty Chairs at Empty Tables performed by Eddie Redmayne

Both of these songs are wrought with such pure emotion I found several times through my day as I was listening/ singing along that I was brought to tears by both of these songs. Keep in mind that I do not cry easily.

The lyrics and meaning of a Little Fall of Rain break my heart! It takes place after Eponine, who is in love with Marius, who is in love with Cosette, literally takes a bullet for him. She is dying in his arms, the picture of unrequited love, and she's telling him not to worry.

EPONINE
Don't you fret, M'sieur Marius
I don't feel any pain
A little fall of rain
Can hardly hurt me now
You're here, that's all I need to know
And you will keep me safe
And you will keep me close

And rain will make the flowers grow.

MARIUS
But you will live, 'Ponine - dear God above,
If I could heal your wounds with words of love.

Wow. Those words. Bring me to tears every time. Absolutely gorgeous. In the last moments of her life, she feels all of those feelings she's been longing for, and receives if not the absolute love of her Marius, at least the belief that it's there.

Empty Chairs at Empty Tables is one that I love simply because of the absolute beauty of the emotion in Eddie Redmayne's voice. You can literally feel the pain and sorrow of a man who is the only who survived among all of his friends. It is funny that I chose two songs that were performed by Eddie Redmayne. I'll admit that when I first saw the movie I was not impressed with him. I am very specific as to what kind of voice I like, and I don't like the warble you get with an opera-like voice. However, on my second round I came to really like him. His rendition of Empty Chairs just blows me away.

So what do all these feelings boil down to? Partially maybe it is simply my attempt at sorting out my current obsession with Les Mis. Also, the decision to take up singing lessons again. Just for kicks and giggles. There are two little girls that come here in the morning before school, and on days such as this when I am up early and have time to spare, I like to take my time singing in the shower. Apparently they heard it, and said it sounded 'pretty'. That made me smile. Singing is such a personal thing. It leaves you vulnerable and I don't do vulnerability well! So here I go, stepping out of my comfort zone. Wish me luck!

You know, if my life were actually a musical, I would have absolutely found my happily ever after. Wouldn't matter where I was, or what I was doing. If it was in song, I'd be in heaven.

xoxo
Mhea

No comments: