Social Icons

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day #26

Jenn and I have been together a lot the last month, and now we are feeling more comfortable striking out on our own. So this morning, I took a piki out to the home  around 9:30, while Jenn went into town to meet Dalton. After greeting the kids, talking to the cook and Lily, walking around the grounds, I then served tea to the 12 women we'd hired to work in the garden today. Then I went to help. Goodness! Have you ever tried to take a medieval hoe to a cornstalk?! It's blinkin impossible!! And then a grandmother who's probably about 70 comes over, sticks her hoe in and yanks the thing out. I was done with that! So I went to learn slashing.

Slashing is essentially pruning with this machete type thing. We were pruning death bushes, which is Jenn and my name for these evil bushes with one inch thorns that some people use instead of barbed wire. Twas a good way of letting out all of your pent- up aggression.

Jenn, meanwhile was off doing heaven knows what.. probably ordering cakes and just chilling around town whilst I broke my back doing manuel labour.

When they were trying to shove tea down my throat, I decided it was time to go. I had Jenn call Elisha for me, and I headed back into town. We grabbed some lunch, hit up the white butcher, and off we went. Jenn and Dalton back to Kiungani for Ladies' Fellowship, and I stuck around town, hoping to be able to go home and take a shower. However, I ran into the lovely Mama Tina and one thing led to another, and 2 hours later I hadn't accomplished much. But I'm okay with it. Twas worth the time spent!! Poor Ashley was getting her hair done too. They take no mercy when they are pulling your head in every which way!

Ah well, I headed back to the lodge, got changed quickly and grabbed Jenn a change of clothes and headed to Pinewood Hotel for dinner with Elvis, Stella, Momma Catherine, Pastor Festis, his wife Susan, and Jenn. We had a lovely time, probably about four hours of talking, laughing, etc. A wonderful time to relax. Jimmy and Newton stopped by to find out why we were ignoring their million calls during dinner. Apparently they just missed us that much. Whackos.

After we said goodbye to the troupe, Jimmy returned to pick us up and we went back to his place to watch a movie with the German musicians that are staying at his guesthouse.

After a not-so-quick check- in call from Newton and Jimmy when we got home at 11:30 tonight, we are finally ready for lala. Sweet dreams!

-Breezey

No comments: