Social Icons

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Somewhere over Italy

12:45 AM

Flying can pretty much be summed up in one all encompassing word. Death. We are not even halfway through our second flight, and already we cannot wait to touch down. And then chill in Nairobi for 6 hours waiting for our third and final flight. Then, a shower. I'd trade Jenn's right arm for an hour of hot water! And a bathroom that isn't the size of our coat closet.

Our plan right now is to meet Dalton this afternoon, and head to the market to buy the food for the feast we are having tomorrow afternoon. Then potentially hit up the orphanage for a few hours depending on how deathly we feel. Both of us, aside from suffering from jet lag, and lack of sleep, also have feet that are blistered beyond recognition. It's lovely.

We have also met a few seriously.. uh.. unteresting.. people already! But I think I'll let Jenn explain them to you. Oh and coming back through security out of Paris, this time I got patted down! Bahhhh No luck!

If you haven't yet realized, I get grumpy and bitter when I'm tired. :P

- Breezey

*****************************

4:22 AM

When travelling it's interesting to discover people's ideas about Canada from abroad. Our first encounter with people's interesting ideas was on the Paris subway from the Eiffel tower enroute back to the airport when we began to talking to an American twenty- something young man who has been travelling Europe the past couple weeks and onward to Africa. We got to talking about his experiences overseas, claimed he was a big tough guy because he was from the Ukraine,so I asked where in the Ukraine he was from/ where he flew out from at which time he quickly changed his tune to the fact that he's actually from Oregon and moved there shortly after birth.. how quickly stories change. He asked where we were from so I said 'aren't that far from Oregon since we live in Ontario.' He looked confused then proceeded to ask, "in Texas?" No honey, not Texas. Canada, that big country north of Oregon. Upon informing him he was wrong he responded, 'oh, common mistake.' ... Well, no not really, check a map.

Encounter 2 on only the second day of the trip, was while sitting in the airport terminal waiting to board our plane to Nairobi. I was talking to a nice guy who randomly started talking and kindly welcoming us to 'his country' and listing off a bunch of places that we simply must visit. Later he asked what brough us to Kenya and where we were from. I told him we're from Canada and he quickly became very interested saying that he really wants to visit Canada, but hasn't had the chance yet. He asked some interesting questions that I wasn't expecting like what do Canadians eat? The question took me back at first, and I wasn't really sure how to answer, so I started listing basic staple foods like chicken, beef, potatoes, rice, pasta, and fish. Once I said fish he looked blindly at me for a minute then asked 'you have fish in Canada?!' I assured him we most certainly do since the country is flanked by two major oceans and contains a large percentage of the world's fresh water supply. He was shocked. It's conversations like this that we are eagerly anticipating over the next two months!

- Jenn

No comments: